Bristol Times and Mirror
SEP. 12, 1908
Dedication of stained glass windows at St.Paul's Church
At a special evening service on Friday a stained glass window was dedicated by the Bishop of Grahamstown. The window, which is situated at the west end, consists of three lights with tracery above, and represents three ancestors of the Percevals. In the centre light is Ascelin Gouel de Perceval, Earl of Yvery and founder of the church. He is shown as a Norman Knight in fall armour of the period, holding the model of a Norman church. At his right is Sir Richard de Perceval, a Crusader. He fought with King Richard, Coeur de Lion, in the Holy Wars, wherein he greatly distinguished himself by his bravery. It is recorded that in one of the many hand-to-hand conflicts which marked the close of this campaign he lost an arm, but holding the reins in his teeth he still continued fighting, until his leg was also severed. It is worthy of notice that a crest borne by his present-day descendants is a knight in full armour, minus an arm and a leg. In the right hand light is Sir James Perceval, in a costume of the Henry VIII period.
Beneath each figure is a space recording the names and titles, together with the dates of their respective deaths, A.D. 1119, 1202, and 1550. In the canopy above are the family arms with their supporters, and at the bottom of the window is use following inscription, "To the glory of God and in memory of Ascelin Gouel de Perceval, the founder of this church; James, the re-builder; and Richard, who fought in the Holy Wars. This window is dedicated by their descendants A.D. 1908."
In the tracery are angels bearing a scrool on which is inscribed the following prayer, adapted from an inscription in Norman French on a monument on the north side, to the memory of Richard Perceval, who died in 1483 —"Blessed Jesu, by Thy Bitter Passion bring their Souls to Thy Salvation."
The window has been admirably executed by Messrs. Joseph Bell and Son, of 12 College Green, Bristol. It is very rich in colouring, and forms a handsome and fitting memorial to those whom the church owes its origin. The church has just been renovated under the direction of Mr. F. Bligh Bond, F.R.I.B.A. and situated as it is on the main road, midway between Clevedon and Portishead, a visit would well repay anyone interested in ancient architecture.
All transcriptions appearing here have been created exclusively for the website, from the original documents.
There are hundreds of articles to process and transcribe, which will take time, so please return to see new content as its added.
Original newspaper scans are provided by the British Newspaper Archive