Fatal accident at Weston-in-Gordano
Western Daily Press
OCT. 19, 1888
Threshing machine explosion. One dead.
At Mr Perkin's farm Weston-in-Gordano, yesterday, during some steam threshing operations, the engine boiler burst. The driver William Lodge of Yatton, who was the owner of the threshing machine, was so seriously hurt that he died shortly after. A dog was also killed.
The straw and some corn ricks were entirely consumed. The Clevedon Fire Brigade were promptly on the spot under the command of Sir E. H. Elton. The Superintendent and their efforts were mainly directed to the preservation of some neighbouring ricks in which they were successful. The threshing machine was entirely destroyed. The farm produce was insured.